08 June 2013

Serena Williams won a second French Open title on Saturday 11 years

Serena Williams won a second French Open title on Saturday 11 years after her first with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of Maria Sharapova.
The world number one landed a concluding ace after one and three-quarter hours to win her 16th major crown.
Williams becomes the oldest women’s champion at Roland Garros after beating Sharapova.
“It was a very difficult match today, I was nervous well,” said Williams. “To win is incredible. I’ll be back next year for sure.” “After 11 years it’s incredible to win it again, I’m so excited.”
The final was the first for women between the first and second seeds since 2004 when number one Justine Henin beat Kim Clijsters.
“I’ve played great tournament but I ran into a really good champion today,” said Sharapova. “She’s been playing so well the last two years.
“This court has brought me lots of nice memories. It was nice to be back on this stage, even if I wished I could have won it again.” The match continued a trend of two-set women’s finals. The last time they went three was in 2001 when Jennifer Capriati beat Clijsters.
THE RESULTS
Women: Final: 1-Serena Williams bt 2- Maria Sharapova 6-4, 6-4.