11 September 2011

Samantha Stosur WON Womens US title


Samantha Stosur outplayed three-time champion Serena Williams 6-2, 6-3 to win the US Open, claiming the first Grand Slam title of her career in a stormy final.

Stosur kept her composure as Williams erupted in anger at the chair umpire in the second set yesterday, dominating the 13-time Grand Slam champion who had reached the final without dropping a set.

She became the first Australian woman to take the title in New York since Margaret Court in 1973, and the first to win a Grand Slam since Evonne Goolagong won Wimbledon in 1980.

"I had one of my best days and I'm very fortunate that I had it on this stage in New York," Stosur said. "Ever since I started playing it was a dream of mine to be here one day."

Williams arrived in the final after dismantling world number one Caroline Wozniacki in the semi-finals on Saturday night in a match that dragged toward midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment