27 June 2009

Jackson loved India, says Rahman


CHENNAI: Music maestro A.R. Rahman, who is now in Los Angeles, said he was shocked at the “untimely passing away” of Michael Jackson, who he described as “one of the greatest musicians of our time.”

In a tribute to the ‘King of Pop,’ Rahman said Jackson, for most of this generation, was an icon who made uncompromising music. He pushed the milestone of pop music to unbelievable levels through the Eighties and Nineties. “I am yet to find an artist with that energy, perfection and vision.”

Recalls meeting

Recalling his recent meeting with Jackson after the Oscars in Los Angeles, Rahman said the meeting was very pleasant and memorable. “He said he loved India and the people of the country. He told me that he heard good things about me and he was praising the chord progression of Jai Ho’s chorus.”

Expressing his awe for Jackson, Rahman said the star was bubbling with energy. “He told me that every dance move he did, came from his soul.” Reminiscing the five second-demonstration that the ace performer gave, he said: “It was a stunning example…like a lightning striking.”

Jackson was concerned about issues such as global warming and war. “He asked me to compose a unity anthem on the lines of ‘We are the World’ for him. I nodded in awe.”

Jackson also introduced Rahman to his children. They told their father that they loved him and he replied “I love you more!” When Rahman wished him well for his concerts, Jackson told him “God bless you.”

On hearing the news of Jackson’s death, Rahman said he wished it were another rumour. “It took me time to believe that he is no more.”

Describing how his team drew inspiration from Jackson, Rahman said: “I remember, my late sound engineer Sridhar brought me a video of the premiere of ‘Remember the Time,’ when I was recording ‘Kadal Rojave’ for my first film Roja. We were all so inspired that afternoon.”

“Now, there is no Sridhar and no Jackson anymore. I hope all of us value people’s existence more and respect them when they are alive. Life is short. Artists and their art live for ever. Jai Ho, MJ ! We love you for your music, regardless of all the controversies,” Rahman said.

No comments:

Post a Comment